Everyone needs energy data
Industry 4.0 and Smart Buildings represent a revolution on how we make use of energy data.
The digitization of manufacturing and buildings makes use of computers and automation but is fueled by data.
Since energy efficiency is an integral component in Industry 4.0. and Smart Buildings everyone needs energy data. No matter where in the workflow you are, you will likely find data exchanging and the interconnection of systems critical for your task.
To facilitate the interconnection and data sharing processes, Electrex provides various methods including the MQTT protocol and the WEB APIs.
The interconnection between people, things and systems creates great advantages in terms of cost reduction, availability of information and interaction between resources.
Would you like to have seamless access to decision-ready data?
Hundreds of companies use the Electrex solutions every day for feasibility analyses, asset management, measurement and verification and many other applications.
Independently from your goal we let your energy systems or related services communicate with other products and services without having to know how they’re implemented.
The Electrex solutions can share energy data with production software or management systems, increasing the benefits of your monitoring and control system.
MQTT and WEB APIs allow to accelerate productivity and decisions. They increase the workflow efficiency with flexible access to energy, environmental and process parameters. In addition those promote innovation thanks to collaboration with the outside.
One of the main advantages that Electrex offers is to eliminate the need to create new connection infrastructures every time that data should be exchanged between systems. Indeed, the lack of communication between technologies or with third parties results in a loss of time and money.
A definition of interconnected asset
For an asset to be defined as interconnected it is necessary that:
- Information is exchanged with internal systems (for e.g.: management system, planning systems, other machines, etc.) and / or external ones (e.g. suppliers, partners in collaborative design and development, other production sites, supply chains, etc.) by means of a connection based on documented specifications, publicly available and internationally recognized (for e.g.: TCP-IP, HTTP, MQTT, etc.)
- It is uniquely identified through the use of internationally recognized addressing standards (for e.g.: IP address) in order to recognize the origin of the information
What is MQTT and How It Works
MQTT is a lightweight and simple binary client-server data transmission protocol. It was born for situations where low impact is required and where bandwidth is limited.
It can be used in many situations such as the Machine-Machine (M2M) and Internet of Things (IoT) real-time communication applications. In these communication environments, both the code executed on the devices and the band for data exchange should be optimized.
This new method of sending data complements those currently available and does not require changes to the structure of the Electrex network. Just the dynamics of data exchange are modified.
By default our software pulls the data from the instrument. MQTT instead will enable the device to send the data to a broker which in turn will allow the various clients to read what has been posted.
Benefits of the MQTT protocol applied to Electrex networks:
- Data on the charts is updated in real time
- Connectivity and access to the devices is guaranteed even without the use of additional routers and without the need to use a Public IP
- Standard technologies implemented; easy interconnection with third party software
- Network management and configuration is simplified by automatically searching for connected devices
- Possibility of centralized management while maintaining compatibility with current networks
- Less use of communication bandwidth due to data exchange
- Scalable environment: the number of nodes activated will not degrade performance
- Integration with third-party devices and applications that use the same protocol
The following options and software implementations are available in order to add the MQTT protocol in your Electrex solution:
What is a WEB API and How It Works
The API is is a kind of interface with a set of functions that allow to access specific features or data of an application. The Web API runs over the web and can be accessed using HTTP protocol.
APIs simplify how to integrate new application components into an existing architecture.
This new data transmission modality is integrated with those already available and does not require changes to the structure of the Electrex network.
Advantages of Web APIs
- Queries via HTTP / HTTPS commands
- JSON formatted replies containing the requested data
- Simplifies interconnection with existing management systems
The following options and software implementations are available in order to add the WEB API interface in our Electrex solution:
Since 1993 Electrex designs, develops, manufactures and markets, Made in Italy, instruments and software for energy management and control.
The Electrex solutions are used in the Energy Efficiency and Energy Automation applications, for the industrial, commercial, public, civil, and renewable energy sectors allowing a rapid return on investment.
The solutions provided up to now allow the management of over 400,000 measuring points and more than 700,000 points are controlled via Energy Automation applications.
Electrex, one of the first companies to operate in these sectors, has acquired over the years a considerable experience and competence that few other companies can claim to have. With over 40% of the staff dedicated to R & D, we demonstrate our strong commitment to innovation and continuous improvement in order to anticipate the needs of our customers.